Sunday, August 21, 2011

Does Perry deserve a closer look?

At first blush, Rick Perry is nothing more than a boot shod version of Mitt Romney. Both have television ready good looks, both have a deep commanding voice. Both exude a self confidence that is attractive to most.
Of course, then you take note of the content of what each is saying and you find that the comparisons end there.
As a staunch conservative, I have not yet hitched my wagon to any of the candidates thus far in the race. I am curious about Perry and will certainly perform the due diligence appropriate before casting my lot with Brother Rick.
However, I do find Perry interesting if for no other reason than he gets the left wing talking heads so upset. In fact it almost seems that he truly scares them. Because of this, one has to look at his candidacy and ask why.
I have read many of the pieces on him in American Prospect, LA Times, NY Times, HuffPo, and other progressive publications, and find their objections to his policies and past more intriguing than offensive.

As a more libertarian type of conservative, I find myself more in line with his political rational than not. Maybe that is what scares the crap out of progressives.

Maybe his “in your face” brand of delivery is not something many Americans can stomach. Maybe his imperfect record on “conservative” issues makes him less palatable to the blue blood, country club GOP faithful. Maybe his invocation of God makes people uncomfortable. Maybe so, maybe so.
But if he makes my leftward leaning friends nervous, maybe he deserves a close look. Not because I oppose anyone they do, but because when we are of such divergent views as it relates to the economy, the size and scope of the federal govt. and the sanctity of personal liberty, I must look at anyone that they see as a threat to the status quo. And it should come as no surprise, I view the status quo as completely unacceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment